Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tutorial: Easy Satin Flower Pin

I started making these a little while back to add to my jewelry offerings on Etsy, and I decided it would make a great first tutorial, so I hope you find it helpful and as easy as I have! They're great little adornments for a plain t-shirt, sweater or hat -- you can even make several of the same or different colors and put them together!
I use a satiny material (doesn't need to be "true" satin) - in fact, I bought whatever I liked/was on sale that had a shiny and a dull side). 
For this tutorial, I used 1 color of material, but I have also created the flowers using 2 colors of fabric such as mocha and cream together. 


You will need the supplies shown in the first 2 photos: a small portion of the satin-type material, scissors, a pen, lighter, several items of various diameters to trace; paint bottles/spools, etc. (you can free-hand it too - the circles need NOT be perfect by any means), a straight pin, a bit of thread, glue, a pin back, and a few fake 'gems' or even a button for the center.
1. Draw/trace anywhere from 3-5 concentric circles on the fabric (the more circles, the fuller the flower) then cut out.

2.  For this step, you may want to practice on a scrap circle first. You will use the lighter to 'melt' the edges of the circle and keep them from fraying; this will also make the fabric pucker and curl, giving it more of the look of a petal. Move quickly! If you hold the lighter in one spot for too long, it will blacken the fabric. I have found if you glide it along the edge, a little at a time, this works best.


3. Assemble the petals the way you like them best, pin in place, and sew together with a few stitches. Then add the pin onto the back (I prefer to sew that on as well).

4. The last step is to embellish the center with a few little fake gems, pearls, or even a nice button!

I hope you've found this tutorial fun and inspiring! If you try it, please contact me! I would love to post photos of your results or a link to your page or blog!

Happy Creating!

2 comments:

  1. I love these..I've tried making them but seem to like others better..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yah, I feel that way about other's cooking usually (like my mom said, always tastes better when someone ELSE cooks!) ;)
    thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete