Friday, March 25, 2011

Wearables: Tie-Dye Transfers and Bleach Pen Designs

Ok, I've been seriously slacking so it's time to share some new ideas! ............

Recently, I made a shirt design for a friend who loves chickens and tie-dye. 

After she posted the picture on my Facebook page, I was approached by someone to create another. 
So, being a feline lover, I've decided that my next design is going to be a kitty silhouette. And, I'm going to add a custom listing to my Etsy shop for anyone who wants to purchase a design like these.
($16.00 each for short sleeve, color or white up to XL. Above that size, $18.00 each -- plus shipping of course.)
Basically, I'm creating these using high-quality transfers and making custom silhouettes of the images which I hand-cut.
I have always enjoyed "wearable arts", which can be anything from jewelry to hats, scarves, socks, embellished clothing...... 
Another endeavor I enjoyed in the past is what I called "bleach pen batik". This involves using a *quality bleach pen to create designs on colored clothing. Notice I indicate a *quality bleach pen, because I tried the cheap ones and they just.don't.work. The good ones will give you an even line and won't be gloppy or stop-up so easily. This is one of the last pieces I have because I either gave away or sold the rest (which means I need to do some more!) :) 
This is a ginkgo leaf on a tank top. 
I did a Google search to find other examples of bleach pen designs and found this blog with some nice examples of t-shirt designs: http://www.frugallifeproject.com/2011/02/diy-beach-pen-t-shirts.html.
Shirt designs from Frugal Life Project Blog
To create a design with bleach pen, you first want to have a good idea of what you are going to do, because there are no "do overs"; the best you can do is make a mistake into a "happy accident". :) I use a name-brand bleach pen, and make sure to shake it well to mix the contents first. You will need to place a several layers of newspaper inside of the garment, to keep the bleach from penetrating to the reverse; unless this is something you want. I also have found that using a garment which is mostly cotton or a blend, and doesn't have much of a texture or ribbing works best. You will need to watch the design as it begins to "develop" on your garment. Leaving the bleach on too long with result in holes. Another thing to consider is the thickness of the fabric. The thinner it is, the more likely it is to develop holes easily and more quickly with wear and washing. Even if holes did not develop when you initially created your piece, remember the bleach has weakened the material and, over time, it will eventually deteriorate and create holes. I suggest practicing your technique and skills on scraps of material or rags before you move on to clothing, and even then, I have begun on used clothing or even items purchased at thrift stores or yard sales. I'm not giving instructions on drawing or making sure the bleach comes out evenly, that something you really have to 'feel' and practice first; and I figure you have some idea of how to do this already. When you're finished with the "developing", of course you need to wash your garment in soapy, cold/warm water immediately! I suggest hanging it to dry the first time.
Another fun way to embellish your bleached pieces is to add a bit of sewing around them or applique. I have only attempted this once, and it did take more time and thought.
I invite you to share your ideas for wearable art here! And if you create, or have created in the past, any bleach pen wearables, please post them here! 
Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment